Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the modern era. But you can reduce your worries if you take care of your body. There are many things that you can do to help prevent heart disease.
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking damages your heart by narrowing the blood vessels. Within one year of stopping, you will have dramatically reduced your risk of heart disease.
- Do not add extra salt. Extra salt added to your food will increase your blood pressure.
- Exercise for 30 minutes a day. This will decrease your chances of getting other diseases or conditions that will stress the heart.
- Lose weight. If you are overweight then you should try to lose a few of the extra pounds. The extra weight puts excess pressure on the heart.
- Eat a diet made for the heart. Include low fat dairy, whole grains and fruits and veggies as the staples. Stay away from processed foods, foods high in fat as well as food high in trans fat.
- Get screened. Screen yourself on a regular basis for diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol.