Someone may have convinced you that stretching before and after exercise is pointless, and just tacks time onto your workout. Stretching really provides many great benefits when performed both before and after your workout. These benefits greatly outweigh the negatives that come from not stretching.
The benefits of stretching before exercise include:
- Increased range of motion
- Increased muscular strength
- Increased tolerance to pain
- Increased blood flow to muscles
- Enhanced performance in certain sports
After exercise stretching benefits include:
- Reduction in muscle fatigue
- Provides a feeling of well being
Stretching is a must do for many reasons. It does not take long, and can help your body and muscles feel better post-workout.
Do you stretch? Tell us about your stretching practices in the comments section below.