There are many things you can do to help control your diabetes. In many cases, the signs of diabetes can be reversed by making a few important lifestyle changes. Consider following some of these tips to help you better manage your diabetes.
- Test your glucose levels on a regular basis. Monitor glucose at different times throughout the day to see what changes you need to make in not only your meals, but with your exercise and medication.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Get lots of sleep.
- Limit your alcohol. Females should have no more than one drink per day, and males should have no more than two drinks per day.
- Exercise. Talk to your doctor about which plan is right for you.
- Do not smoke.
- Manage your stress.
- Know what the signs of hypoglycemia are (confusion, abnormal behavior, double vision, seizures, anxiety, shakiness, inability to complete tasks). Let others around you know what to look for as well, so if there are issues they can get medical help for you.
- Eat whole grains. Whole grains are diabetes friendly, and are high in fiber.
- Follow a medication schedule that your doctor has given you.
Do you have any tips you would like to add to this list? Please leave them below in the comments section.