Tip #30: Understand How Much Cardio It Takes To Burn Off Your Snack Food
We’ve all heard it a thousand times: “I just ate a donut/cheeseburger/bag of chips. 10 extra minutes on the treadmill for me tonight!” Is it really that easy? Can you simply burn off your snack food with a few extra minutes on the treadmill? Let’s take a look.
For the sake of simplicity, we will assume you are walking and not running on the treadmill. We will also assume that you’re using a brisk pace, perhaps 4 miles per hour, or one mile every 15 minutes. One mile of walking burns 100 calories, so using out current pace we will burn 100 calories every 15 minutes.
- One Oreo cookie – 40 calories, 6 minutes on the treadmill.
- Nature Valley Oats ‘n Honey Crunchy granola bar – 94 calories, 14.3 minutes on the treadmill.
- Little Debbie Nutty Bar, one package – 310 calories, 46.5 minutes on the treadmill.
- McDouble from McDonald’s restaurant – 400 calories, 60 minutes on the treadmill.
- General Tso’s chicken, one serving – 844 calories, 126.6 minutes on the treadmill.
- 2 Slices Pizza Hut Meat Lover’s Pizza, pan style crust – 960 calories, 144 minutes on the treadmill.
- Large sized Burger King Double Whopper Value Meal – 1,780 calories, 267 minutes on the treadmill.
Have you been guilty of thinking you can simply burn off food on the treadmill? Let us know in the comments section below.